One of the best parts of running for public office is the opportunity to speak with so many folks in the community – through knocking on doors, participating in meetings of community organizations, meeting with county staff, and attending local events. I really enjoy getting to chat with both new and familiar faces. I’ve heard about a wide variety of issues important to many in the community including:
- Identifying how to increase the amount and types of housing options.
- Supporting our school system and the University of New Mexico-Los Alamos.
- Growing a few more businesses (restaurants and shops to tech startups) and amenities.
- Enhancing county support and opportunities for our local businesses.
- Protecting and maintaining our open spaces.
- Addressing long-term building vacancies in key areas of the community.
- Assuring fiscal responsibility in balancing care for our current infrastructure while investing in the future.
I’ve also heard some good ideas for how to make progress on these and other issues. Another thing that has come through loud and clear is the desire for elected officials that really listen. I understand that not everyone feels comfortable sending an email or speaking during the Public Comment session of the County Council meetings. If elected, because of the value I place on input from the broadest set of the community possible, I propose to hold regular Let’s Chat sessions to provide an informal option for discussion of perspectives and ideas regarding our community. These would be 2 hour sessions held on different days/times to provide an opportunity for folks with a range of commitments and schedules to participate.
I held Let’s Chat sessions during the primary election and learned a lot from engaging with diverse members of the community. I will be holding them again this fall at local businesses and the library as follows:
Friday September 14, 9-11 AM – Fleur de Lys (1460 Trinity Drive, Los Alamos)
Thursday September 20, noon – 2 PM – Little Saigon (124 Long View Drive, White Rock)
Friday September 28, 5-7 PM – Bob’s Bodacious BBQ (3801-G Arkansas, Los Alamos)
Thursday October 4, 6-8 PM – White Rock Library (Study Room 1)
Friday October 12, 9-11 AM – Hot Rocks Java Cafe (4200 West Jemez Road, Los Alamos)
Please come by just to say hi, share a few minutes, or more. I look forward to seeing you there. I may even bring a few Tootsie Rolls to share!